Thefts from Vehicles - Current Trends
The Johnson County Sheriff's Office would like to alert its citizens and those traveling through the county of a current trend in area thefts. Thieves are targetting fitness facilities and daycare centers for car break-ins. The perpetrators are watcing as the occupant leaves their vehicle in the parking lot. When they see that you are not carrying your personal items they will pull up next to your vehicle and break out a window gaining entry. They will steal your purse, wallet, IPAD, computer or other valuables. Any credit cards in your purse or wallet will be used immediately at an area convenience store. Once this works your card will then be used at area stores for larger sums of money. Remember that items left in your vehicle could potentially attract thieves, especially valuable items. Do what you can to make your vehicle less attractive to the criminal element. Here are some tips to protect yourself:
1. Like Christmas time at the mall we want you to lock your valuables in the trunk or leave them at home.
2. Never leave your valuables in plain view.
3. Do not leave your vehicle running while dropping off children at the Daycare Center.
4. Always lock your vehicle.
5. Park where you can be seen by employees or surveillance equipment.
6. Report any suspicious activity to your local law enforcement agency.